Damson & Feijoa Crumble
By The Damson Collection Team
Crumbles are always a little freestyle in my kitchen and depend on what fruit is in season. These crumble tarts are a slight deviation on the traditional crumble because they have pastry case bottoms. They make an excellent after-dinner sweet treat for those autumnal nights, especially if accompanied with lashings of yoghurt or cream.
I took the inspired and easy route this week and used a pre-made sweet short pastry from Paneton Bakery. I baked the cases blind for 15 minutes and then mixed some of my fresh Feijoa from the garden with our Damson Jam before topping the fruit in delicious crumble. Quick and easy I have to say.
Even a non-Feijoa lover would have to say they taste really good.
300g of Feijoas
100g Damson Jam
1 cup plain flour (130g)
½ cup brown or coconut sugar (65g)
¼ cup oats
¼ cup ground almonds (if you have them otherwise substitute with extra oats)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger (I love ginger but if you don’t then leave out)
100g butter or coconut oil
1 X Paneton Sweet Short Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200c
Make the pastry cases
- Roll out the pastry.
- Grease the muffin tray / ramekin / pie dish.
- Line the chosen tray with the pastry.
- Bake blind for approx. 15min at 200c. Watch that the pastry doesn’t overcook on the edges.
- Take out from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Ease cases out of muffin tray.
- Allow to cool, again.
Make the fruit mix
- Scoop out flesh from feijoas and chop into small pieces.
- Add 100g Damson Jam to the mix and stir.
Note: I don’t stew the feijoa fruit mix as I think mashing the fruit gives it a better consistency and taste.
Make the crumble mix
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Melt the butter and pour it over the dry ingredients.
- Mix until it looks like breadcrumbs.
Assemble the tart
- Divide the fruit evenly between the pastry cases. Fill approx. 3/4 of the case.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and bake in an oven for approx. 20 mins, or until the crumble is golden on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve with either ice cream, coconut yoghurt or whipped cream.